Nov 10, 2007

Maya Olivia is Here

Well, our baby girl finally made her apperance into the world after a rough 50 hours at the hospital. Here's the quick run down. I was due Oct 29th, but that day came and went with no baby arriving and nothing exciting happening. So at my dr appointment that week we scheduled an induction for Nov. 8th. I was admitted to the hospital at 10pm on Nov 7th to get things started (Cervadil). At 10am on Thursday the 8th we started Pitocin to get contractions going. In short Thursday was a pretty rough day, lots of contractions, yet still nothing going on. After about 10 hours and no progress on Thursday, we discussed several options with the dr., they included go home and try again next week, stop the contractions and let my body rest for the night and then try again in the morning and see what happens and if nothing happens then do a C-section. We decided that we weren't going home so they let me eat, since I hadn't since noon on Wed. and let my body rest and then started things again at 5 on Friday morning.

Friday my contractions got stronger yet there was still no progress from when I had checked into the hospital on Wednesday evening. After a rough day of contractions we decided to get an epidural since we were not leaving the hospital without a baby, she was coming one way or another!! So at 4:30 I got the epidural. Oh what a relief!!!! At that point I had a little progress, but still nothing significant.

At about 7 pm the nurse checked me again and I had made a little progress, anything at this point was better than nothing. I was tired but happy to have a bit of something happening. I continued to try to rest, but at about 9 pm I started to get a fever. The nurse checked me again and to our surprise I had made massive progress. At 10 pm the nurse gave me some medicine to help my rising fever, at that point it was 101.5, and checked me to find that I was ready to start pushing. I had to wait a bit to start pushing to let the tylenol absorb. At about 10:30pm we started pushing, this was tough because I was exhausted, after 2 nights of very little sleep, all that pit, and those contractions my body was TIRED!! At 11:15 the Dr came in to start getting things ready. After more pushing and the vacuum to help her out she was born at 12:04 am on Sat 11/10/07. She weighs 8 lbs 0 oz and is 20 inches long.

There was a bit of concern about her body temp, she couldn't seem to get warm and since I had such a high fever before she was born, (right after she was born it was 102.1), but she is doing great now! She is also eating like a champion.

We are so happy to have her here and to have survived the labor and delivery. We will be at the hospital til monday because of my fever, but all is well. Both her and I are doing great! She was a bit dehydrated so they gave her an IV and gave her some fluids. The IV didn't even bother her, but the tape that was on her head holding it on made her really mad when it pulled on her hair when they were trying to take it out.

She's a doll! She has daddy's round cheeks and nose, mommy's lips, long legs, long toes and fingers, and a mellow disposition.

Here's some pictures for now:


Daddy's favorite picture because he thinks she looks like she is planning something already!

The new Daddy and his baby girl.

Not a happy camper when she has be be naked.

Daddy giving Maya her first bath.

She's a sucker, she loves to suck on everything, including her fist.

Grandma Flores & Maya

Auntie Sonia & Grandma Oliver with Maya

Beautiful Baby Girl

Mom & Baby Girl

Proud Papa

6 comments:

CollyWolly said...

Congratulations! She is beautiful and I'm so proud of you and all the hard work you've been through to get her here. Let me know if you need anything in the next couple of weeks. Thanks for letting me stop by and snuggle with her. Just think Evan and Maya will only be 5 months apart!

alyssa said...

AHHHHHHHH!!!
I am so excited for you! You are parents!!!!!!
Sounds like you went through a lot to get her here, but I am so glad that you are both safe and healthy. I cant wait to see more pictures! I love her name too. She is going to be a beauty! Make sure to start reading SW literature to her right away. Plant a seed I tell ya. It worked on you :)

Carolina said...

Congratulations!! After a few weeks of staring at this precious little girl, you will all but forget the long (and very rough) episode at the hospital. You guys will be great parents.

Marg said...

Loved the update and the great pictures of a very healthy-looking, beautiful baby girl. I can tell her parents are love struck, as you well should be. We all love you already, Maya.

Christie said...

What a cutie-- glad that she is here safe and sound-- and sorry that it took so long! We'll have to come see her soon!

CollyWolly said...

so how is the baby and where are all of the pictures you've been taking of her?
comeon give us a new post! :)